Have you ever had a project that you’ve wanted to work so bad that you’ve put aside all common sense and just pounded hours and dollars towards? Me too! In fact, i’ve written about failed projects in the past. So why am I bringing this back up? I’ve run into a bit of a dilemma. Over the past few months you’ve seen me write about the (what use to be) Amazon niche website bestcanistervacuums.net. You’ve seen the successful months where I was able to pull in nearly $500 in a single month. You’ve also seen the post Amazon ban months where i’ve pulled in a fraction of that amount (closer to $150 in a month). Despite being kicked out of Amazon, joining SkimLinks to stay in Amazon and then getting kicked out of that, seeing my traffic crash, then come back up a bit after a full website redesign utilizing Target and Walmart affiliate programs. In reality, its been a real pain in the ass. I’ve put more effort towards this site then its worth.
I had redesigned the entire website and saw a recovery for what I believe was an over optimization issue. Life was good. Heck, Penguin 2.1 even went by around October 4th and the site didn’t see any issues. Life was going to be good right?. Nope something around October 20th brought the site down to it’s knees.
I’m still not 100% sure. If I had to guess its that i’m still teetering on the edge of an over-optimization issue – specifically my backlinks. I showed you guys a graph of my “recovery” after my rankings dropped overnight for this supposed over optimization issue. Well the recovery was short lived. Check out this graph.
Despite changing the anchor text on a few expired domain I was using to pump some link juice into the website in addition to TheHoth to further diversify the anchor text ratios I am only seeing very small improvements. In fact, I was going to fight the good fight until I woke up one morning and got a lovely e-mail alert from SERPFox saying the site dropped from a top 10 position for a very valuable keyword to 100+. You’ll see from the graph below it did recover a bit but is now “stuck” at around the 3rd or 4th page of the SERPS. Fourth page might as well be not listed in Google haha.
Once this happened I kind of threw my hands up in the air. I have spent more time, money effort on this website simply because it was my public site. Didn’t want to let you guys down. However, its now at a point where I’m not willing to work on the site anymore. The traffic I was sending to Target.com and Walmart.com converts like crap. The affiliate commissions are also a fraction of what Amazon offers as well. In the end the website simply isn’t making me any money.
My goal is to let it sit and hope that at some point in time the state of Minnesota and Amazon can come to some sort of agreement and let affiliate marketers back in their program. At that time i’ll re-assess the website and consider working on it again.
Walking Away Project TWO!
Yes. I’m walking away from TWO projects. Well, this second one is more so switching things up. As you might remember, per your guys request I started a new niche website in the competitive insurance niche. BostonAutoInsurance.net was the end product. The goal was to get it to rank for the phrase ‘Boston Auto Insurance’ and to monetize through the BrokersWeb lead generation program. What I didn’t tell you all is that at the same time when I was building out the Boston site I also put together another website targeting the city of Baltimore. The end result was BaltimoreCarInsurance.org.
The strategy for this site was very similar to the Boston website with one rather large exception. At the very beginning when I was building out the site I found an expired domain that had hundreds of valuable links. I purchased the domain and then 301 redirected the entire website to this website. I then continued to build out the website by adding content. I only added a few pages of content and decided to let it sit. The results we’re great. I found this website ranking on the first three pages for various Baltimore car insurance phrases. My plan is to take the time I was using for the Boston website and redirect it to this Baltimore site.
As you now know i’m in the process of changing up some of the projects that I openly share on this website. The goal is that i’ll have some more motivating income reports to share in the near future. To help combat the less than stellar income reports that will likely be coming these next few months due to the new projects i’ll try to add a few more posts with various tactics or techniques that can help you guys with your income projects!